Jan 4, 2013

Get a 2 way radios GET ONE



NOAA 
      stations First print these PDF's for your binders  Click here
It is the NOAA weather Radio info

Now onto the Radio them selves. As a person that is still kind of new to prepping (a little over a year now) This is something I keep putting aside. Why because the chances of needing it are slim in my part of the country. I prep for hyperinflation and or the grid going down. Now because of that grid going down thought I know that this is really something I should get but it is a higher priced prep so I do not want to get the wrong one!

No matter what you are preppering for having  minimal communication with the outside world is something to think about. Remember if power goes down on a larger scale you may not have cell phone use. But being on a budget I am looking to get a cheaper choice.

***First read this... GMRS vs CB......Click Here  I found it helpful GMRS are the first two radios   below..and the last on it a CB.

I have been looking for that cheap option and found a few on Amazon. (I am not trying to sell these or make money on them because my state has ban credit for Amazon referrals).

Talking to some preppers was very helpful and many suggest Midland products and grundig ones to.

I came across a few and want to share them with you, but I am also looking for feed back on any better ideas (that are affordable).  I always suggest shopping for better prices or waiting for a sale on a deal like this.

AND REMEMBER to make a Faraday bag for the radio and small ones for walkies just in case Click Here for some basics



------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: I just found it on amazon! Sold by amazon for $64! It is not in stock yet but I pre ordered! And will add some handheld soon to keep in touch with the family! (PS I found alot of people price gouging this! So be careful!) The link below is the amazon one...that is how I just got mine...just keep checking till they get more in
Midland XT511 GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Radio
Midland XT511 GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Radio  $62 they are out right now but should be in stock soon.


  • Emergency radio with 22 GMRS/FRS channels and all 10 NOAA weather channels with alert function
  • Includes AM/FM radio reception, a clock with an alarm function, and a 3-LED flashlight
  • Features VOX automatic voice-activated operation, and a USB port for charging cell phones, radios, etc.
  • Rechargeable battery can be powered by dynamo hand crank, or included AC or DC power adapters. You can power with four standard AA batteries
  • Constructed to be water resistant, and backed by a manufacturer's 3-year warranty
What I like is you can reach the outside world for help. It can be used with Midland XT511 GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Radio so you can expand the set up over time.
I was looking at solar ones, which I really wanted that option but when keeping cheap I could only find solar without the 2way. You can always get a solar battery charger for the AA batterys and BAM your solar!

This is a useful review on it

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I had purchased this and canceled it right away when I found out it is not waterproof.  Still a great radio and I just found them on amazon for $74 (that is half price!)
 Etón VOICELINK FR1000 ECO Edition Clock Radio (White)



Etón FR1000 Voicelink $145 (but this deal come with one handheld to)
  • Digital AM/FM receiver and NOAA weather alert radio and walkie talkie with 22 GMRS FRS channels, 121 privacy codes (38 CTCSS/83 DCS)
  • Selectable call alert, scan/monitor function, dual watch function, roger beep tone, silent operation, keypad lock, power hi/lo settings
  • Battery meter indicator, LCD display, 12-hour (AM/PM) digital clock with alarm/snooze function
  • External speaker/microphone jack, 3.5-millimeter headphone output, cell phone charging jack, AC/DC adapter charging jack,
  • power source: 4 AA alkaline batteries or Ni-MH battery pack
  • Includes owner's manual, warranty card, rechargeable battery, and AC adapter
Does not have the handheld mic, it has a built in one.  It actually seems to bit a bit better than the midland one

Here is a useful review on this one

 


 -------------------------------------------------------------------



 Midland 75-822 Mobile Adapter

Midland 75-822 Citizens Band Radio  Is a CB radio and you need a licence to use it but for $79 it is an option. $77.00 (you can get your group to all get one set up a priv. channel to communicate)

40-Channel CB Radio 
The 75-822 offers 40 separate communication channels, delivering the maximum CB communication range with 4 watts of output power.Channel scan can automatically check all channels for activity, stopping on any active channel for five seconds. You can also store and instantly access up to five of your favorite channels in memory. When you flip on the device, a last channel memory feature will turn on the last channel you selected before powering off.While communicating, a built in ANL (automatic noise limiter) improves reception for weak signals, and squelch control further eliminates background noise.

Weather Radio/Emergency Channel Convenience 
The 75-822 features instant access to NOAA Weather Radio, for weather/hazard information in your area 24/7. Immediate access to emergency channel 9 and informational channel 19 is also provided. The Dual Watch feature lets you monitor channel 9 and another channel of your choice simultaneously.

Power With AA Batteries or Vehicle Power Port You can power this unit with six AA batteries, complete with a battery life extender feature. To get even more from your batteries, high/low transmit power settings are provided (4 watts and 1 watt, respectively).A mobile adapter is also included for powering directly from your vehicle's "cigarette lighter" power port.
 Easy to Use  The 75-822 boasts a large, backlit multifucntion LCD display that's easy to read, day or night. A keypad lock feature "locks in" your preferred settings, so they aren't accidentally changed. The flexible antenna with BNC connector is easily removed for transport, and an external headset jack is provided for hands-free use. 
 Now this does not have your regluar radio or phone charger on it like the other two but if you already have stuff that can cover this, I think this would be the way to go because it has mmajor distance!  
And here is a review on this one. 
 
 
Any thought PLEASE comment on this one. Cuz I will be getting mine in a few weeks and I really want to get the right ones. 
 
OK the song for this post has to be..... AM Radio Everclear (just makes me smile)
 
 
 
 

 

7 comments :

  1. I am currently attending classes that are offered free by the Ham Radio club in our area. The beginning license called Technician will allow me to broadcas and receive on certain frequencies. The radio I got off Ebay which are available lots of places is the Baofeng model I got the first one I saw but a better model is the 5V -- only about 50.00 to 60.00 bucks and works good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shamus, I was looking into the classes non close to me. But good point to make. You do need a license for these radios to transmit. I got mine for emergency's. Will set up a private channel for the family.

    The one you suggests looks totally cool link for everyone
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4634.m570.l1313&_nkw=Baofeng&_sacat=0&_from=R40

    I choose the midland totally because it have a radio and handcrank and the 2 way. So I can set it up in my kitchen and always be alert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We offer a complete and comprehensive product line of high quality two way radio replacement batteries. Our two way radio batteries are designed to be fully compatible with the original equipment.
    http://www.cutratebatteries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the following blog, I am aslo looking for a good charger and earpiece for my Two-Way Radios. Thanks for this useful post.
    LinhTramN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like waterproof radio! Thanks for showing good videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store.
    Walkie Talkie Radios

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete