Small post today because I have to get the yard together before the holiday.
I have dehydrated meat but never smoked it. I am also looking for a low cost and easiest way to do things in a SHTF situation. This pit seems to be that.
It is a simple as:
- Digging a hole at least 3 feet deep and 1 1/2 feet wide.
- Make a fire at the bottom
- Once it starts to burn good add green wood chipped and small green wood branches (this will make the smoke)
- Make some wood rakes or place some wood stick to securely place the meat on. Theses must be placed at least a 1 and 1/2 foot above the fire.
- Cover the pit with leaf filled branches to trap the smoke.
- Keep an eye on the fire feeding it when necessary.
- It talks about 8 hours for the to cure properly. (sometimes less sometimes more so keep on eye on it)
- The meat should be dark and brittle, like beef jerky.
Song for this post is Cibo Matto - Beef Jerky