May 21, 2015

Vertigo - Home remedies

Had bad vertigo yesterday....so I figured this post would be the perfect thurs post.    I personally am taking meds for it now. But it does not always work.  But it got me to thinking what if something happens, the meds I am taken are a compound (which means they make them just for me). So it is not like anyone will have this med for trade. I had to start learning about how to handle it without the meds. 



 First I am going to start with what I found strangely works the best for me. ( I still need the meds but I can go without them form time to time when doing the 3 things below.)

- MAKE SURE TO STAY HYDRATED!!! At all times!!!!!!!!!

These eye exercises have been working like a charm! If you have vertigo I suggest this as the #1 best thing ever!!! And yes they seem corny!
-Eye exercises - I know this seems so lame, but I have severe vertigo and this is the one thing that stops a spell from happening.  Now it may take a bit of time, but better than being down for a few hours. And if you do this daily a few times basic vertigo may even go away.


 Also you have the standard moments for basic vertigo. Now these are even more lame but again they do help.


.
What are the Natural Remedies
There are several natural remedies to cure vertigo. I have tried everything and these are the ones that do help. Cure no, but help.
  • Stay Hydrated- It is important to drink at least eight glasses of water. For a more effective vertigo remedy, soak a tablespoon of coriander seeds in a glass of water and leave overnight. The next morning, strain water and drink. Similarly a mixture of black pepper, lemon juice and salt water also helps. Another common natural remedy to cure vertigo is to soak almonds, pumpkin seeds, a tablespoon of poppy seeds, and three tablespoons of wheat. Leave these overnight. The following day grind this mixture into a fine powder, while frying some butter with half a spoon of cloves. Add the fine powder and a cup of milk to the pan and bring to a boil. Drink this once a day to help negate symptoms. 
  •  Ginger-When taken during an attack, it is said to offset symptoms within minutes. (This is some I do use). good to have in your garden.
  • Then you have Ginkgo Biloba- And it works great but it is not cheap and it is not something you can grow easily in many places 
  • No Jerky Movements- If you have vertigo you all ready know this but it is worth stressing it. If you feel that feeling take it slow and start doing the eye exercises above. And grab a glass of water and sip on that.
  • Focus- This is something that also helps me. A friend that was a bartender taught me this one. He said that when folks drank to much he would have them do this so that they would not get sick...and strangely it works for vertigo to. When you feel the onset of an attack, focus on a stationary object around you etc. Focusing on a fixed point sends visual cues to the brain, allowing it to balance appropriately, stopping the dizziness.
  • Diet- Eat vitamins and protein rich foods. (now you know why I did this post on high protein foods Click Here).   In addition add shavings of lime (or lemon) peel to your salad. This helps combat the spinning sensation. Also avoid caffeine, chocolates, fried foods, iced teas, and excess salts.
  • Breathing exercises and meditation also help.

 Also remember vertigo can be a sign of something else so see a doctor for it if it continues. 

And here is a pdf of things to lookout for Click here


 Ok my song for this post....tell me you did not see this one coming.  U2 - Vertigo


No comments :

Post a Comment